… Dressing up Pumpkin Pie for the Holidays!
A few other changes have been made, like using canned coconut milk and leaving the Grand Marnier for drinking – because I just can’t help myself (I must continuously tweak) – all with the intent of having even more tasty pie options – especially at Thanksgiving and the holidays.
Whether you’re donning your black tie or little black dress attire (or holey jeans and a sweatshirt) this dessert won’t disappoint! And I dare your family and guests to detect that you’ve just served them a gluten-free, non-dairy dessert. So don’t tell them!
By the way, I love serving this pie with a garnish of shaved dark chocolate over the top. Yum!
P.S. You’ll want to use a deep dish pie plate for this recipe.
Gluten-free Dairy-free Chocolate Ganache Pumpkin Pie
- 6 double squares graham-style crackers – I use Kinnikinnick S’moreables
- 23 gingersnap cookies - I use Pamela's Simplebites Ginger Mini Snapz
- 3 Tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon non-dairy margarine, melted - I use Earth Balance Natural Buttery Spread, soy free
- 6 ounces dairy-free dark chocolate morsels - I use Enjoy Life Foods Dark Chocolate Morsels
- 6 Tablespoons non-dairy margarine
- 2 teaspoons corn syrup
For Pie Filling:
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 15-ounce can pure pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling) – I use Libby's
- 1 1/2 cups (12 ounces) canned coconut milk (regular, not low fat) – I use Thai Kitchen
- chocolate bar, optional for garnish – I use Enjoy Life Foods Dark Chocolate Bar
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Crush graham crackers and gingersnaps in a food processor into fine crumbs. Stir in melted margarine until all crumbs are moistened. Press crumb mixture into pie plate. Bake at 350ºF for 7-8 minutes. Remove from oven and set on cooling rack until ready to use. Increase oven temp to 425ºF.
- Combine chocolate morsels, margarine, and corn syrup in double boiler or in a glass bowl set over a pan of simmering water. Stir occasionally until ingredients have melted and are well combined. Remove from heat and let sit for about five minutes.
- Pour ganache over crust and spread evenly in bottom and up sides. Set aside.
- Mix eggs, sugar, cinnamon, salt, ginger, cloves, nutmeg, pumpkin, and coconut milk in a medium bowl.
- Pour the pie filling slowly over the ganache, and fill to just below the edge of crust. You may have a little left over. Smooth the filling to make flat on top.
- Bake at 425ºF for 15 minutes, then reduce oven temp to 350ºF and continue baking for 45-65 minutes, or until knife inserted into center comes out clean. Remove from oven and let rest on cooling rack for two hours. Pie can be stored at room temperature for 4-6 hours, but requires refrigeration for longer storage.
- Garnish with shavings of chocolate by scraping edge of chocolate bar with a sharp knife over each serving.
Safe food is a journey … Thrive!™