… An Understated Powerhouse Fruit Drink!
Perhaps you’re familiar with the sweet taste and luscious texture of mango. Perhaps you already know that mango is considered a tropical fruit. But do you know that mango has nutritional benefits that place it in the “a good food to enjoy as part of your regular healthful diet” category?
Here are a few “healthy” facts about mango:
- Studies show that mango’s abundant antioxidants help fight cancer, especially targeting breast and colon cancer cells.
- Each 3.5 ounce (100 g) serving of mango provides 43% of the RDA of vitamin C, 1.6 g fiber, and only .38 g fat.
- The high fiber, pectin, and vitamin C in mango aid in lowering cholesterol.
- Mango contains glutamine acid, which has been tested with positive results for improving concentration.
Try out our delicious, smooth, and refreshing Pure Mango Madness Smoothie recipe … it will be a treat to your taste buds and provide nutrition benefits to your body. We love it! This recipe has a creaminess to it, giving the impression that we’ve included dairy, but there’s no dairy. Be sure to check out our Serving Suggestions mentioned at the end of the recipe for some additional flavor ideas.
Pure Mango Madness Smoothie – gluten free and dairy free
Makes 2 serving
1 1/4 cups mango juice
1 cup frozen mango
1/4 cup mango sorbet – I like the sorbet gluten-free, dairy-free sorbet from Trader Joe’s
Add all ingredients to a blender. Starting on low speed, begin blending. Gradually increase speed to high. Blend until all mixture is smooth and no pieces remain. Serve.
- For added protein, substitute an equal portion of the mango juice with almond milk, keeping some of the juice for the great mango flavor.
- To further develop the creaminess aspect, as well as provide protein, throw in a peeled and seeded ripe avocado. You won’t taste the avocado flavor, but you will get an additional nutrition boost.
- For a refreshing and tropical gluten-free cocktail, add a splash of Disaronno Amaretto or Captain Morgan Rum. These combinations are so smooth, the alcohol can sneak up on you. Please keep this for the adults and drink responsibly.
What is your favorite way to make a smoothie? Do you fortify it … or add extra fun ingredients?
Safe food is a journey … Thrive!™