… Your Barbecue-Flavored Meats Never Had It So Good!
Don’t buy prepared BBQ sauce. Here’s a gluten-free, dairy-free, 5-minute homemade barbecue sauce recipe with regular and lower sugar versions. Ketchup, brown sugar (or honey), liquid smoke, onion powder, and you’re set. Your BBQ meatballs, meatloaf, and pulled pork have never had it so good!
A quick tip for you: I use onion powder in my sauce recipe because I like to use a plastic squeeze bottle to drizzle this sauce over my meatballs before baking them. If I use finely chopped onion, the bits of onion get stuck in the nozzle. Also, this keeps the sauce from being cross-contaminated with uncooked meat (should a spoon touch the raw meat then the sauce remaining in the pan). If you prefer to use a fresh onion in your sauce, or to use a spoon to dollop the sauce over raw meat and accidentally cross-contaminate your sauce, simply reheat the unused portion of BBQ sauce to a simmer to eliminate the cross-contamination concern.
P.S. This is my go-to recipe for our Oat-free Tender BBQ Meatballs, Wrangler Meatballs, and our Slow-Cooked BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwiches. I alternate between the regular sauce recipe and the lower sugar recipe. Both are delicious!
Homemade Gluten-free Dairy-free Barbecue Sauce
- 2 cups (240g) ketchup - I use Simply Heinz Ketchup
- 2 cups brown sugar* - loosely filled in measuring cup
- 1 teaspoon onion powder or 1/2 red or yellow, finely diced
- 2 Tablespoons liquid smoke - Colgins and Wrights are both gluten-free
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Combine all ingredients in a small sauce pan. Cook over medium-low heat until sauce begins to bubble and thickens slightly, about 3 minutes. Stir well. Use immediately or allow to cool then place in a resealable glass jar, cover, and refrigerate. Will stay good in fridge for up to a month.
- *Note: For lower sugar recipe, use only 1/2 cup brown sugar. To use honey in place of brown sugar, begin by using 1/2 cup honey and adjust quantity according to taste.
*This recipe is a DailyForage.com original recipe and has been shared on Gluten Free Fridays #150 at VegetarianMamma.com.
Safe food is a journey … Thrive!
Other recipes you might enjoy: