… Silky Chocolate Good Enough to Bathe In!
Okay, I strongly believe the phrase, “OMG” is overused, over exaggerated, and completely past its prime, but …
OMG! This is good chocolate! Pots de Creme means pots of cream for the custard-style dessert served in ceramic pots or ramekins. This recipe is right on the mark of that description. These gluten-free, dairy-free Pots de Creme embody the creaminess of the best full-fat cream, the fluffiness of a silken mousse, the richness of the finest of chocolates in the world … all here in each of these little pots of lusciousness. It’s also been accomplished without including soy, which is often relied on to deliver such a silky texture. At the risk of being annoying and repetitive, “OMG!”
And the icing on the cake, as it were, is how easy it is to achieve these results within merely a few minutes. There is no labor of love here. There’s just love – and plenty of time for it with your sweetie on Valentine’s Day because you’ve not exhausted yourself by outdoing yourself with a decadent and incredibly difficult dessert to impress. You’ll just impress.
I’m showing my love for you by giving you this incredibly delicious, incredibly easy dessert recipe. Happy Valentine’s Day to you … from me!
Just one more thing, okay two … adding a dollop of non-dairy whipped topping, such as Rich’s Rich Whip or homemade Coconut Cream Topping with Orange Essence (orange and chocolate play so well together), will dress this dessert up perfectly. Surprisingly, adding the cream mellows the richness of the chocolate. Go easy on the size of the serving portions. A little goes a long way.
Now go make your sweetie (or yourself) happy!
Gluten and Dairy Free Chocolate Pots de Creme
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup corn starch
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 cups non-dairy milk - I use Silk Unsweetened Cashew Milk
- 4 large egg yolks, slightly beaten
- 6 1/2 ounces dairy-free dark chocolate - I use Enjoy Life Dark Chocolate Morsels
- 2 Tablespoons dairy-free butter alternative - Earth Balance Soy Free Buttery Sticks
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- non-dairy whipped topping, optional – I use Rich’s Rich Whip or homemade coconut whipped “cream”
- cocoa powder for dusting, optional
- In a large saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch, and salt. Stir together and begin heating over medium heat.
- Add milk and egg yolks and stir to combine. Continue stirring and cook until the mixture comes to a boil. Remove from heat.
- Stir in chocolate, “butter”, and vanilla. Stir until all the chocolate has melted and the consistency is perfectly smooth.
- Pour into individual ramekins or small serving containers and chill at least four hours.
- To serve, top with non-dairy whipped topping and a dusting of cocoa powder, if desired. Keep any remaining servings chilled until ready to serve.
- Note: This recipe has been adapted from Ree Drummond – The Pioneer Woman, episode “Kitchen Confessional: Chocolate – Ladd’s Pie”.
Note: This recipe has been adapted from Ree Drummond – The Pioneer Woman, episode “Kitchen Confessional: Chocolate – Ladd’s Pie”. Thanks, Ree, your base recipe is awesome!
*This recipe was first shared on DailyForage.com and has also been shared on Gluten Free Fridays #129 at VegetarianMamma.com.
Safe food is a journey … Thrive!™