… Tropical Flavors with a Healthy Punch!
I love starting my busy day with a solid nutritional base. This protein shake, or fortified fruit smoothie if you prefer, is bright and refreshing. It’s a not overly sweetened drink that uses only whole foods and no added sugars, and is energy boosted with the addition of chia seeds and raw walnuts. You’ll also be getting a healthy dose of anti-oxidants, fiber, and anti-inflammatory benefits.
This shake is thick, smooth, and creamy. If you like a less thick consistency, try using less of the chia seed gel to achieve your desired consistency. To boost the tropical, bright flavors, additional orange zest can be added. This Tropical Protein Shake is free of gluten, dairy, soy, peanuts, and eggs.
Happy, healthy drinking!
Tropical Protein Shake
- 3 Tablespoons warm water
- 1 Tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 cup nut milk – I use unsweetened cashew or almond milk
- 1/4 cup raw walnuts
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut
- 2 dates, pitted and cut in half – I like Medjool for their sweetness and texture
- 1-2 green or purple kale leaves, stems removed
- 1/2 teaspoon orange zest (grated orange peel)
- 3 ice cubes – adjust the quantity to your temperature and consistency preference
- Combine warm water and chia seeds in a small bowl*, stir, set aside to let gel, about 3 minutes. Combine all other ingredients in a high-speed blender (I love to use my NutriBullet for individual servings). Blend until smooth and creamy, then add the chia gel and blend again for about 20-30 seconds. Serve immediately.
- *Note: I find that by creating a chia seed gel, then blending it into my shake just at the end of the blending process, the shake results in a smooth and creamy consistency. When I add the chia seeds without combining them with water first and allowing them to coagulate in this liquid separately first, the chia sucks moisture from the shake liquids and results in a frothy, less smooth, and less favorable texture. This step can be eliminated if you don’t have a texture preference.
Safe food is a journey … Thrive!™
Other recipes you might enjoy: