… The Perfect Tangy Topping for Many Baked Goods!
Cream cheese frosting is a classic creamy, buttery frosting with a bit of a tangy attitude. I love it! It’s perfect on carrot cake, gingerbread, red velvet cake (which reminds me that I’ve never shared a recipe for this with you … hmmm), and I’m sure mocha brownies would be none the worse for enduring a little spread of the stuff.
I used my homemade cream cheese as the base for this recipe, which is free of gluten, dairy, soy, eggs, peanuts, and nuts. If you want instant gratification, and you don’t have homemade cream cheese on hand, you can certainly try using Daiya Plain Cream Cheese Style Spread. I also used Earth Balance Natural Buttery Spread – soy free (in the tub). This makes the frosting still very spreadable when chilled in the fridge. Earth Balance Soy Free Buttery Sticks will work very well also, producing a firmer frosting. This frosting should be spread when just created. It will not spread well at all (note: as in, will tear your delicate cake) once chilled.
Four simple ingredients are all that is required for this recipe. This recipe isn’t low fat, it isn’t low sugar, and it isn’t low flavor … But it’s the holiday season. I’m going for a tiny indulgence (and sharing the rest with others).
Happy holiday baking!
Gluten-free, Dairy-free, Soy-free Cream Cheese Frosting
- 4 ounces Homemade "cream cheese"
- 4 ounces butter substitute - I use Earth Balance Natural Buttery Spread - soy free tub
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract - McCormick's is safe
- Combine all ingredients in a high-sided, narrow bowl. With electric mixer, starting on low, mix to combine, then increase speed to beat well until frosting is smooth and creamy. Ready to use.
- Store frosting, or frosted cake, in fridge if not serving immediately.
Safe food is a journey … Thrive!
Other recipes you might enjoy: