… This Frosting is “Just the Icing on the Cake”, Literally!
This is my favorite gluten-free, dairy-free chocolate frosting recipe. It has been adapted from the original Hershey’s Cocoa Powder frosting recipe, which is a classic. This recipe produces a rich, creamy frosting that is smooth enough to spread without tugging on your delicate cake, but won’t slide off once you’ve finished spreading it.
It’s also a favorite for its simplicity … the flavors are pure, the process is a one-bowl dump-and-mix approach. And it requires only ingredients that you most likely already have in your pantry.
The fact that this creamy, rich chocolate frosting is free of gluten, dairy, eggs, and soy, (and nuts if you use rice or coconut milk) is just the icing on the cake.
I’ve used this frosting on my Supremely Chocolate Frosted Brownies and my Rich Chocolate Birthday Cake (repeatedly), and consensus every time is that it’s sublime. Love it! I’m guessing it will become your favorite too!
Gluten-free Dairy-free Creamy Rich Chocolate Frosting
- 2 cups powdered sugar , vegan if desired
- 6 Tablespoons pure cocoa powder - I use Hershey's
- 1/4 cup non-dairy buttery spread, melted - I use Earth Balance Natural Buttery Spread - soy free
- 1/4 cup almond, coconut, or rice milk - this would be coconut milk in a carton, not canned
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Add all ingredients to a mixing bowl. Using a whisk, stir until well mixed and frosting has a smooth, creamy consistency. If the frosting seems thin, let it sit in bowl for a few minutes before using. It will set up slightly after a few minutes, making it the perfect consistency for spreading. If frosting is still too thin, add 1 tablespoonful of powdered sugar at a time. If frosting is too thick, add additional "milk" a teaspoonful at a time (a tiny amount of liquids changes the consistency quickly). Stir well to combine.
- Be sure to always frost cakes, brownies, or cookies that are room temperature or cooler. If they are still warm, the frosting will melt and slip off.
On what else can we put this dreamy, creamy chocolate frosting? Do tell in the comments below!
Safe food is a journey … Thrive!™
Other recipes you might enjoy: