… Safe Food is a Journey … Here’s one more step … Thrive!™
Here’s a quick-reference guide to brands of baking powder that are gluten-free. Some brands are also aluminum-free, kosher, reduced-sodium, and/or manufactured in a peanut-free facility. If you find that your baked goods aren’t rising and giving you the outcome you desire, don’t be afraid to try a different brand of baking powder. Though they are all double-acting, I’ve found that they don’t all behave the same with various flour blends. My first brand of choice is Clabber Girl, with Argo being a close second, but you may find another one works better for you.
If you simply cannot do baking powder because of the cornstarch component, you can create your own gluten-free, corn-free baking powder by combining 2 parts cream of tartar to 1 part baking soda (ex. 1 teaspoon cream of tartar to 1/2 teaspoon baking soda), then use an equal quantity as a substitute for the called-for measurement of baking powder in your recipe.
Gluten-free Baking Powder Brands
- Argo – also aluminum-free
- Bakewell Cream – also aluminum-free
- Clabber Girl – kosher; produced in a peanut-free facility
- Davis – kosher; produced in a peanut-free facility
- Hain Pure Foods Featherweight – also sodium-free
- Hearth Club – kosher; produced in a peanut-free facility
- Rumford – also aluminum-free and kosher; produced in a peanut-free facility
- Rumford Reduced Sodium – also aluminum-free and kosher; produced in a peanut-free facility
Safe food is a journey … Thrive!™