Quiche is perfect for a light and delicious dish, and this one serves up a bit of Mediterranean flair. With its robust flavors of tangy and bold olives, and the mild “bite” of the artichoke hearts, tamed down by the sweetness of the fresh, warm tomatoes, you have a stand-alone entree to tantalize your taste buds. When paired with a green salad or some fresh fruit, you can enjoy a healthful and easy summer meal without any fuss. If you need something just a bit more filling, this quiche pairs well with a hearty tomato bisque soup. It is gluten-free and dairy-free, yet brings all the flavors of a traditional quiche to your plate. Oh, yes, and quiche is very versatile, so if you’re missing an ingredient listed here, just add one of your favorite items. Quiche is a great “palate” for just about any flavor you want to create. If dairy is not forbidden on your diet, try adding some grated parmesan-reggiano cheese … it is a delicious combination with the slightly salty cheese playing against the mild tartness of the artichoke hearts (as I remember from prior to my dairy-free days.) As the recipe stands, or with your culinary input, we hope you enjoy it as much as we do.
For the Crust:
Gluten-Free Pantry Pie Crust (Daily Forage Pie Crust Review), partially pre-baked in a quiche dish according to package directions.
For the Filling:
3/4 cup milk or milk substitute (I use 1/2 cup coconut milk and 1/2 cup almond milk)
1 cup fresh grape tomatoes, sliced into thirds
1 jar (6 1/2 oz) artichoke hearts, cut to personal preference size
4 oz. diced olives (a mixture of Kalamata, Black, and Green Olives provides nice flavor)
4-6 green onions, chopped, including some of the green tops
Salt and Pepper, to taste
Fresh basil leaves, for garnish
Pre-heat oven to 375º.
1. Crack eggs into mixing bowl and add milk. Whisk until well combined. Set aside.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine all Filling ingredients and stir. Add salt and pepper to taste.
3. Add Filling mixture to Egg mixture; stir until well incorporated.
4. Gently pour mixture into partially baked pie crust.
5. Bake in pre-heated oven for 30 minutes, or until knife inserted in center of quiche comes out clean.
6. Just prior to removing quiche from oven, turn on broiler and brown top of quiche just until golden. Watch carefully, this only takes a few seconds to one minute.
7. Remove from oven and let rest five to ten minutes before serving to let quiche firm up.
8. Garnish with fresh basil leaves just before serving.